Followers

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Lazy Crazy Hazy Days of Summer...

Summer has finally settled in around the pacific northwest. . . she took her sweet time about getting here, but get here she did! I know it's been a while since I've posted, dear friends and family, but I'll see if I can catch you up in relatively short order.

I warn you that this may be a long post... I just checked and realized that it's been since we purchased the bike that I've put anything up.. a lot has happened since then. Apparently I really need to get back on the blogging horse!

We have jetted off to Wisconsin and made it back with all of our luggage, selves and sanity intact! One of us has had a birthday (it's the big 30 for both of us this year), a dear friend has brought a beautiful baby girl into the world, several others are set to bring their own new additions into the world this year, a job has been lost (to add to the still growing numbers of unemployed in this country), and finally we're gearing up for the rest of the summer with friends and family galore.  Pull up a seat and we'll talk about it all after the break!



Disclaimer: I will try to move through everything as chronologically as possible.. but seeing as how we have a TON of ground to cover I may jump around a bit. This is also your warning that this is a lengthy post. I officially have a reminder up for myself to post more frequently. As in every day. I should get irritated and listen to it.

BABY V is here!
Happily enough when working through this list chronologically I get to start with the fun stuff!  Little Iliana joined the family V, one of my favorites I'll have you know, on May 14th. Congratulations to mom and dad V, a papa for the first time and a momma for the 2nd! There's not a whole lot else to tell you here, except that little Iliana is absolutely beautiful. The new little family is perfect and I adore each and every one of them!

Left on a jet plane... then we came back again!
Which pretty much sums up the trip as a whole. We're good, right? Nah, I wouldn't do that to you all. This was our first plane trip together and was an interesting experience in and of itself. I am used to traveling solo. No one other than myself and my luggage to worry about.. and certainly no one to deal with my neuroses that center around traveling. I freely admit that I'm completely neurotic when it comes to traveling by air.. but I tell you miss one flight in your lifetime and you will be in my club. That, coupled with my lack of hearing and you've got a pretty OCD traveler. We left with plenty of time to arrive at the airport. I'd already checked in for our flight online (yes, I'm that person). What we didn't know? The DOT had several lanes of 405 closed... which nearly doubled our time to the airport. What we also didn't know? The absolute busiest time at the airport is between 11pm and 2am or so. Also? This doesn't mean that they will open another check point... they'll just kick it with the one. Two lines, over an hour in line to get through security. While we weren't the last people on our flight, we were certainly close.


 
Wisconsin itself was the most relaxing part of the trip. I got to meet the rest of Mike's family and really enjoyed our time with them. We stayed with his Aunt, Uncle and Cousin in Madison. Madison is a fabulous city and we had the absolute best tour guides possible! The entire family spent the weekend up at a little cabin north of Green Bay, which has been in the family for years, to have a double memorial for Mike's grandfather and great aunt. I'll wax poetic about the fabulous food we had in Madison, some fabulous booze too, in another post. For now, I'll leave you with this picture of Wisconsin and the entire family.

Happy Birthday, you're unemployed!
Mike and I had a couple of additional days off together when we came back from Wisconsin, time to get back into the swing of things and relax after rushing all over the place while we were back east. He went back to work on 06/21.. just 5 short days before his big 3-oh. Upon arriving at work that day, he was pulled into his managers office and let go. Just like that. There wasn't a truly substantiated reason... and what little they did give him didn't make any sense. It is my personal opinion that if you're being let go for "performance" issues, your boss generally doesn't write you a freaking letter of recommendation and tell you to file for unemployment...and that they won't fight the claim. It made for an interesting birthday week... but he had a great time at his party and we got to celebrate with some great friends as well as the fam.

Since then, there hasn't been a whole lot to update on his unemployment status except that it shouldn't take 6-8 weeks for unemployment to start paying... it really doesn't help with bills etc that come in before then. He's looking for work every day and in the mean time going a little bit insane... my active guy is running out of stuff to do at home.

Summer is here!
Finally with summer upon us, we're gearing up for the rest of the season. Well... as much as we can given Mike's lack of employment. One of my dearest and closest friends is coming up in 3 short weeks to spend the weekend with us. I'm looking forward to having her here as we don't get to see each other nearly enough, Sacramento is a little far to drop in for coffee or drinks.

30 will be visiting me as well next month and while I may not greet the age with the bash that Mike had, I look forward to celebrating with him, some family, and some close friends. I do know that Mike and I will be hitting the aquarium that day as well.. Pictures will, of course, follow.

As usual, we will be biking, playing ball, hiking, playing with the dogs, and whatever else strikes our fancy this summer. It's the best time to get out and do stuff in this lovely area, so we intend to live it up!

What are you planning for this summer?

0 comments:

Post a Comment