Followers

Friday, December 10, 2010

Welcome, Christmas

It's time I said it:

I'm a Gleek. There. I said it.

Being a fan of Glee seems to be somewhat controversial lately. I'm not really sure why, unless it's simply all of the haters in the world and those who've never been a part of a choir or vocal ensemble. I have the happy fortune to have been in both. A full concert choir, a vocal jazz ensemble, a church choir... I've been around the proverbial choral block. I loved every minute of it. And while none of the groups I was lucky enough to sing with were reviled like the kids on Glee, we were always unique. Unique in that the groups always had a certain sense of family closeness and togetherness that not a lot of other groups have. I attribute it to the fact that without some seriously close partnership your songs would sound like crap. One person isn't in sync and you can certainly tell. Choral groups played a massive role in shaping who I am today. Glee had their Christmas special this last Tuesday and I got to spend a happy hour remembering all of the Holiday concerts I've been in. Also? I totally found my Christmas spirit. It is no longer missing. One of my favorite pieces of the evening was the final song they treated us to. Welcome, Christmas. You'll remember it from every rendition of  "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" that is out there. The harmonies, the spirit behind the song brought tears to my eyes. For those of you who didn't catch the episode, or don't even watch Glee, feast your ears on the lovely choral piece below.




They also did "The Most Wonderful Day of the Year" from the classic Rudolph movie. Which I'm also going to treat you to below. Just a couple of blasts from childhood Christmas specials!





I'll leave you with that folks. Merry Christmas and Happy Weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment