Followers

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Oooooh Tasty... sounding

I love food blogs.

There it's out there. I can't take it back now and I'm not sure that I want to. I truly and honestly LOVE food blogs. If Mike and I cooked fun things more often, I would totally have one. But we don't, so I don't. Which is fine, I just lurk on other people's food blogs.

I was lurking, as I am wont to do, over at Tales From the Fridge, Connie cracks me up and usually has some fantastic commentary on the foods she's tried. Today, I discovered her Tuesday Tastes post about the Ultimate Grilled Cheese. It made me stop and think for a moment, because saying a grilled cheese is ultimate brings two things to mind... 1) umm... has she been watching Tyler Florence? 2) An ultimate grilled cheese better be pretty darned ultimate!

So, Connie got this from an Oprah show a couple of years ago, and now she's posted about it herself... I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. Recipe below... feelings about the sammy to follow after trying it.


The Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich


 1 slice Havarti cheese

1 slice mozzarella cheese

1 slice Danish fontina cheese

1/2 Tbsp butter, softened (for best results, use high-quality butter)

Honey from a squeeze bear bottle

1 tsp. fresh basil, chopped

2 slices tomato

2 slices bread (organic multigrain bread works best)

 Sauté pan large enough for 2 slices of bread


Butter bread on one side with melted butter. Place in pan, butter side down, over medium-low heat. Place mozzarella on one half of the bread and fontina and Havarti on the other. Cook until golden on bottom and cheese begins to melt. Place tomato on mozzarella side and honey on fotina/Havarti side. Place under broiler for a few minutes to heat up tomato. Sprinkle basil and assemble sandwich.


__________________________________________________________________________________

Update:
We tried the sandwich last night and it really is the Ultimate grilled cheese. Dan says the wouldn't categorize it as a grilled chees, more as a warm sandwich... but I really only care about how it tasted.

Lessons learned:
*Don't be shy with the honey!  A couple of people in the house had two sandwiches, which allowed me to use thier first ones as test runs. This was a good idea because we learned that, while seemingly an out of the box idea, the honey really does lend an absolutely heavenly note to it. I'm not saying to drown the poor cheese in honey... just don't be shy about it.

*Salt your tomatos. It didn't call for it, but after the first attempt at this masterful sandwich, Joe mentioned that he thought the tomatos could use a little salt. They did, it was wonderful. We used pepper as well, but got mixed responses on that. Some loved the pepper, others thought that the Basil lends enough bite to the sandwich to not need it.

At anyrate family mine, we all highly reccommend this tasty treat... especially if you love cheese. Mike wants to trade either the fontina or the havarti out for brie next time, so we'll see how that one blows over.

0 comments:

Post a Comment